UK boarding schools ask parents who live overseas to appoint an UK guardian for their child. Generally, they require a guardian to be over the age of 25, and not an older brother or sister resident in student accommodation in a university or college in the UK. Students in different age may vary in their needs of attention and support, especially in a total strange environment Some children who had experience staying aboard even think they don't need a guardian as a constrain, but what should be understood is that a guardian is not monitoring daily routine of the student but as coordinator between the student, parents and the school. An appointed guardian can satisfy your special needs, and most importantly provide 24hours emergency support. Moreover, guardian will arrange quality host family for student during term breaks or short holidays .These carefully chosen host families provide not only accommodation ,but also are willing to help students to familiarize with local culture, expand their experience in this historically and culturally rich country
Although the responsibilities of a guardian can be defined in various ways, they are likely to include the following:
- Providing suitable accommodation-'a home from home'-during term breaks,school weekend exeats or other short holidays.
- Being available on a daily basis as a point of contact for parents, students and schools
- Monitoring a student's educational progress and social development
- Acting on behalf of parents in the case of any emergency or crisis
- Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of a student at all times
- Liaising with the school and parents over holiday and exeat arrangements
- Making appropriate arrangements for medical care and insurance
- Being responsible for all travel arrangements and informing the school accordingly.
1 Prior to departure
- Provide you all relevant information about our service and charges;
- Record the personal particulars of your child in the 'student information record';
- Enter an'Agreement'with you which authorizes us to act legally on your behalf as Your child's guardian in the UK;
- Discuss with you the type and level of supervision that suits your child best;
- Help you procure a suitable insurance for your child from an insurance company;
- Inform the school in the UK of our role and exchange contacts with their overseas student coordinator;
2 Upon arrival
Our guardian will：
- Greet your child at the airport and escort him/her to the school for check-in and help moving of luggage to the dormitory;
- Establish 24-hour contact between our guardian and your child for emergence use;
- Sort out the arrangement for release of pocket money to your child;
- Arrange a mobile phone for your child upon your request.
3 Durinig term time
Our guardian will:
- Perform guardianship duties as requested by the parents from time to time, such as attending school open days, teacher/parents meetings, academic progress checks, or paying visits for the various reasons;
- Offer assistance and advice when needed;
- Provide 24-hour emergency backup;
- Manage your child's pocket money and personal account and report to you when necessary;
- Arrange a suitable host family for your child during term breaks and long school holidays and Settle the payment beforehand.
4 During term breaks and school holidays
Our guardian will:
- Arrange transport between the school, the host family, and the airport (if necessary),
- Settle your child in the host family;
- Arrange study programmes, e.g. sports camps, study groups etc. as per your request;
- Arrange entertainment, e.g. sightseeing tour, visit castles or museums etc. for your child if he/she request, subject to you approval.
5 At the end of academic year
Our guardian will:
- Arrange transport from the school to the airport and help your child depart for home country safely;
- Refund the unspent balance in the reserve, if any, to you with a detailed accounts for your record;
- Arrange host family and provide guardian care if your child stays in UK during the summer holidays.
Bright World Education and Guardianships Pippa’s Guardians